In Through the Side Door

Oct 17, 2017 | 1 comment

Nyel’s View of the Passing Parade

Yesterday began as planned.  We headed out at 8:30 for a two o’clock appointment in Portland with Dr. God (whose offices are at Emanuel Hospital).  Although it was a ‘long-standing’ appointment, we had our backs packed on the likelihood that we’d go from Dr. God’s office directly to the hospital’s admitting desk.  Nyel’s situation had deteriorated considerably in the last two days and so, along about Cranguyma Farms, he called and gave a heads up to Dr. God’s nurse.

We proceeded to Ocean Beach Hospital (as planned) for blood work so that the doctor would have the results (by the miracle of FAX) by the time we arrived.  But, even as Nyel was waiting his turn in the lab, the call came from Portland – “Skip the appointment.  Go directly to the hospital.  Either to admitting or to the ER.  We’ll let you know.”

Ambulance Bays: Full

It ended up being the ER which is actually called the ED (Department not Room) these days.  This one, as is no doubt true in all big city hospitals, is considerably bigger than our entire Ocean Beach Hospital.  The triage went quick-as-a-wink, Nyel was placed in a room, the ER doctor gave a few orders for meds, Dr. God came in, and then… we waited.  I think the wait was five hours; the Cardio Care Unit was full and we were next in line for a bed.

While we were there, the ED filled up, too.  We could hear the ambulances arrive, and then a helicopter.  “All incoming bays are full,” someone said.  Outside Nyel’s room, the hallways began filling up with patients on cots – apparently having vacated their ED rooms (for incoming patients) while they awaited their own discharge.   We felt lucky that Nyel was safely tucked in a room, hooked up to monitors (never mind the constant beeping which, we were told was the result of his stopping breathing as he would drop off to sleep.)  Scary.

Helicopter Airspace- Busy!

Finally… back up to the fifth floor of the hospital.  Familiar territory.  Nurses we know.  Routines we know.  A menu we know (less happily).  And the beginnings of a plan to get Nyel into OSHU for a second opinion while we are here.  Our fingers are crossed that this will happen and that the various medical teams will move forward with something that will improve Nyel’s situation.  As ever, Nyel is non-complaining, but I’m feeling the need to beef up my cheerleading skills. Even the most patient patient is bound to get discouraged…

1 Comment

  1. Rebecca Fontana

    You are both in my thoughts and prayers ??


Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *